MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF15 (and a minor rant)

Sunday, July 20, 2008

I'm a MAC almost-virgin. Honestly! I've never tried any MAC products before except for a lipstick and their famed lipglass (which is why there is an "almost") but nothing else. I don't know why but I've never really been tempted by MAC before.

I've noticed that MAC foundation shades have sort of become a standard in the world of makeup. In beauty and makeup forums, whenever people discuss various foundations, they are always saying stuff like "Oh, I'm a MAC NC30 and brand X in shade Y is a perfect match," or "I'm a MAC NW25, can anyone tell me what shade I will be in brand X?" MAC foundation shades now seem now a true beauty standard!

I for one, never knew what MAC shade I was. Which makes discussing various foundation shades in forums a tad difficult. So today, I traipsed down to the MAC counter and requested for a foundation match. Unfortunately, I was served by a very un-MAC lady (MAC fans, you know what I mean by true MAC staff - usually in black and rather edgy-looking). Well, this lady was NOT MAC-like at all. She was middle-aged and had really poor product knowledge. When I told her I was looking for a foundation which has good oil control, she stared blankly at me. A fellow MAC staff (this other lady was more MAC-like) had to help her out. Then, un-MAC lady guided me to a seat and proceeded to pile the foundation on my face without removing the foundation I was wearing at that time. I was rather wary by this time so I told her to please remove my foundation first before testing the new shade on me. If not, how am I going to tell if the shade is a match for my skin? She stared at me so I repeated what I said. Then she got a makeup wipe and proceeded to do what I asked her to do. Not a very good first experience with MAC.

Oh well.

Anyway, on to the foundation. MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 is meant for women with oily skin. I've been wearing it (shade NC25!) for an afternoon now and the foundation isn't such a big deal. Yes, it is buildable and gives medium coverage but it oxidises rather quickly (after about 3 hours) compared to my previous staple, Kesalan Patharan Liquid Foundation N. However, it does cover pores quite well and doesn't end up cakey. There is also a wide variety of shades which makes it easy to find a good match. Overall, it isn't a lousy foundation but neither is it a great foundation. I will probably continue using this foundation until I'm done with it but whether I will re-purchase it in the future will depend on how it performs in the long run.

0 comments: